Inspirational Breakfast with Biggest Loser

Career counsellors and teachers from across the metropolitan area converged at Central’s East Perth campus for a breakfast with two inspirational guest speakers; Brett Martin, a Central employee who was also a contestant on the recently aired Biggest Loser Next Generation and Sofie Bosevski, Central’s Trainee of the Year.

Central staff member Brett Martin and his mother weigh in on The Biggest Loser Next Generation.

Brett gave attendees an insight into the challenges he faced through The Biggest Loser contest and described his ‘lightbulb’ moment when he was given the opportunity to meet a personal hero, Shane Heal, former professional basketball player and current coach of the Sydney Kings. Brett’s subsequent determination led him to lose over 57 kilos through the reality television program, and he remains focused on reaching his target weight.

Sofie shared her experience of deciding to do a school-based traineeship in Year 11. She was given the opportunity to balance her schoolwork with a traineeship through Central, completing a Certificate II in Business within her first year of study, but it wasn’t without some difficult days.

“I can’t say it was a walk in the park, it was hard at first. I failed my first lot of units, I had no idea what I was doing and I was asked to redo them. By the second time round, I had mastered the assessment process and before I knew it, it was the end of the year and I had completed all my units”, she said.

“My long term goals are to become a manager in the next few years.”

Trainee of the year with counsellors
Sofie Bosevski (centre) with Mt Lawley counsellors Catherine Smith and Alana Young

Sofie’s VET counsellors from her former school, Mount Lawley Senior High School, Alana Young and Catherine Smith were attending the breakfast. Mount Lawely’s CareerLink program offers a pathway that combines employment experience within the high school structure.