Nursing is life changing course for award winner Mathiang

Mathiang Kuir Aleu attributes studying a Diploma of Nursing at Central as the “best decision of my life”. He has always wanted to be a nurse, with a drive to make a positive change in someone’s life, help improve community and change society for the better. Mathiang is the winner of Central Student Awards 2015 Access & Diversity Award for a student from an non-English speaking background.

Central’s course gave Mathiang basic nursing skills right up to the complex care of the patient. He has also built his confidence in his English, particularly writing in English. He attended English support classes to learn more about academic writing, especially referencing. “That class is of a huge help to students who are really will to learn and perform better in their chosen careers”, Mathiang said.

“Communications is one of the skills that I believe has improved drastically since I commenced my nursing career with Central. I’m orally communicating all the time with my fellow students, lecturers and participating in class activities, for example, I do participate in group work, presentation and expressing my views about certain topics. My communication skills improve for better. I have developed active listening skills and attending which are vital aspect of health care.”

“My education has long been interrupted by wars and became lost… I will always say if you need good and strong foundation in nursing and other careers go to Central, if you lost education and you want to find it again, go to Central.”

Mathiang is due to start his Bachelor of Nursing degree this year and plans to work in mental health. He is currently working as a Patient Support Assistant putting the skills and knowledge he has learnt into practice.

“I always want to be a productive member of Australian society and there is nothing that can hold me back from achieving it.”