Jeweller Jason gets his own piece of Gold

North Metropolitan TAFE graduate Jason Nesbitt from Duncraig has just returned home from the 2016 WorldSkills Australia National Competition (6-8 October, Melbourne) with a gold medal around his neck.

Jason (aged 23) who works as a Jeweller at Egoli Place of Gold in Glengarry, was one of 500 participants aged 16-24 competing across 60 different skills areas in the competition which has been dubbed Australia’s largest trades and skills showcase.

Competing against five other participants, Jason was tasked with creating a gold piece of jewellery to strict specifications based on a sketch provided to him. Under the watchful eyes of industry experts, Jason used techniques such as saw piercing and soldering to create what he believed to be the perfect piece.

“I didn’t finish my piece but I followed the marking guide to a tee and in the jewellery profession, it’s about quality and perfection not speed,” said Jason. “I’ve been working towards this competition for many years and the hard work has finally paid off so I’m over the moon.”

Jason’s passion for a career in jewellery began in Year 11 during one weeks work experience with Solid Gold Jewellers. After finishing Year 12 at St Stephen’s School, Jason enrolled in a few short courses at North Metropolitan TAFE to be certain that a job in jewellery was the right one for him.

Very soon after, Jason enrolled in the Certificate III in Jewellery Manufacture (Apprenticeship) at North Metropolitan TAFE in Northbridge and was offered employment with Egoli Place of Gold where he still works today, repairing and making jewellery for a range of clients.

“I’ve learnt a lot of new skills over the years through my TAFE training and my job as a jeweller,” said Jason. “The look on a client’s face when I hand them a piece of jewellery that I’ve created from scratch is priceless and is definitely the best part of being a jeweller.”

Not resting on his laurels, Jason is moving overseas next year to expand his skills and work as a jeweller in London.